12.7.06

Its Official

I no longer care about the All-Star game, even if it does determine homefield advantage in the playoffs.


Of course, it shouldn't determine homefield--that should be determined by record as it is in every other sport. If it takes more time to schedule and prepare for World Series games, then simply "freeze" the records on September 1st and decide the W.S. homefield based on win-loss on that date. Anything would be better than having an exhibition game...wait, let me say that again, an EXHIBITION game...k...determine one of the biggest advantages for a championship, ahem, CHAMPIONSHIP series.


Returning to my "topic" sentence, I don't care about the All-Star game. Despite being a close game last night, I was far more interested in video baseball than real baseball (2018 Red Sox, World Champions). Talking with Meg about it--I think interleague play is one of the biggest reasons why I no longer care. Before interleague, there was only one time all year that you could see Ken Griffey Jr. take on Orel Hershiser or see Pedro Martinez face (and strike out) McGwire and Sosa. Of course, free agency means that players switch leagues more, but interleague means that its no big deal to see Andrew Jones face John Papelbon--they see each other every season. So I didn't watch the All Star game (although I did flip to it in time to see the final out, nice to root for Rivera for a change), and don't feel bad about missing it.

On another note--I really like the change to the Home Run Derby; the totals from round to round should carry over. I don't know what to make about all the talk that participating in the Derby can mess with players swings, but it sounds like Howard will be an exemplary case--they intentionally changed his swing to pull the ball (like the Philles need any additional help tanking in the second half).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home