17.7.06

Is it too soon to panic,

Or simply not late enough?

I've spent the first few months in a kind of conscious-denial of reality. While the Red Sox went into the all-star break with a four game lead, I knew that it should have been more. Much more. But, an inconsistent pitching staff (from top to bottom--anyone see how many homeruns Beckett has allowed) allowed the Bombers, suffereing through far many more injuries, to remain within reach.

And now they've all but grabbed us.

I know, I know... Wily Mo's about to return, Clement could return back in form, Lester continues to improve and learn on the fly. I know, I know... Sidney Ponson is (hopefully?) not going to be this year's Aaron Small, delivering a 10-0 second half. I know, I know... the Yanks are still without some of their big hitters for another month and probably don't have enough quality prospects to land Bobby Abreau or Soriano.

And, of course, I know, I know that its only July.

But the cynical part of me, that pre-2004 Red Sox fan, can't help but think "just let'em pass us now..." It would be too painful to lose first place to the Yanks in September. Funny, despite the championship, I'm finding it harder and harder to BELIEVE in this year's group. Maybe its because I'm in Indiana and are not surrounded by the daily "hoop-la." Nor do I get to watch many of the games. I haven't even been listening to as many this year as I usually do.

So I guess I'll write-off my lack of faith (or try to, at least). But in the back of my mind I still hear Bob Ryan's echoing call: "The Yanks are coming, the Yanks are coming..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home